Au Gratin Potatoes & Ham
Comfort food casseroles warm the body and the spirit. This traditional recipe combines potatoes, ham and cheese, with a hint of mustard, for a warm and hearty meal.
- 2 pounds white russet potatoes about 6 medium
- 2 cups diced ham
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon flour heaping
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups 2% or whole milk room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Swiss, Monterrey Jack, etc), divided, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Peel and slice potatoes and layer with the ham in a 9”x13” pan.
Melt butter over low heat in a skillet, add onion and sauté until onion is tender (3-4 minutes). Whisk in flour, pepper, ground mustard and parsley stirring constantly until bubbly (1-2 minutes). Slowly stir in milk (1/2 cup at a time) and bring back to a very low boil. Add 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese (1/2 cup at a time), whisking after each addition until melted.
Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes/ham. Use a fork to gently distribute the sauce throughout the potatoes. Bake, uncovered, for one hour and 20 minutes.
Combine bread crumbs, remaining cheese and paprika. Sprinkle on top of casserole and return to oven for 20 minutes, or until top is brown and bubbly.